Why use Corten Steel from Tubeco, Inc.?
- High strength-to-weight ratio. This gives the designer the ability to reduce costs thru using lighter sections for your project.
- Superior corrosion resistance over regular carbon steel. Allows this weathering steel to naturally conform to the environment.
- Reduction of maintenance cost. Since Corten does not have to be painted in a regular maintenance program, the lifetime cost of the project is much less than a painted steel project. Also, corten can have a longer life when exposure to the elements will be a factor.
- Corten or self-weathering steel can be used in environmentally sensitive areas where leaded paint can present problems for wildlife.
- Corten or self-weathering steel is a favorite of artists looking for a metal to blend in with the outdoor environment for sculptures or fountains.
Weathering steel has many advantages over mild steel for structures that are outside and exposed to the elements.
Environment – weathers to natural brown which blends with the surrounding environment.
Strength – increased strength allows for weight savings vs mild carbon steel.
Cost savings – saves the cost of initially painting or coating the steel and the subsequent maintenance cost over its lifetime. Costs less than mild steel that has been coated.
Protection – develops its own protective coating which slows the rate of corrosion
Appearance – weathering steel changes and improves with age giving it great curbside appeal.
Common uses of Corten Steel:
- Pedestrian Bridges
- Light Poles
- Sign Poles
- Blower Boxes
Corten comes in most common sizes & shapes of steel:
- Square & Rectangular Tube
- Steel Pipe & Round Tube
- Flat, Square & Round Bars