Why use Corten Steel from Tubeco, Inc.?
- High strength-to-weight ratio. This gives the designer the ability to reduce costs thru using lighter sections for your project.
- Superior corrosion resistance over regular carbon steel. Allows this weathering steel to naturally conform to the environment.
- Reduction of maintenance cost. Since Corten does not have to be painted in a regular maintenance program, the lifetime cost of the project is much less than a painted steel project. Also, corten can have a longer life when exposure to the elements will be a factor.
- Corten or self-weathering steel can be used in environmentally sensitive areas where leaded paint can present problems for wildlife.
- Corten or self-weathering steel is a favorite of artists looking for a metal to blend in with the outdoor environment for sculptures or fountains.
- Weathering steel has many advantages over mild steel for structures that are outside and exposed to the elements.
- Environment – weathers to natural brown which blends with the surrounding environment.
- Strength – increased strength allows for weight savings vs mild carbon steel.
- Cost savings – saves the cost of initially painting or coating the steel and the subsequent maintenance cost over its lifetime. Costs less than mild steel that has been coated.
- Protection – develops its own protective coating which slows the rate of corrosion
- Appearance – weathering steel changes and improves with age giving it great curbside appeal.
Common uses of Corten Steel:
- Pedestrian Bridges
- Light Poles
- Sign Poles
- Blower Boxes
Corten comes in most common sizes & shapes of steel:
- Square & Rectangular Tube
- Steel Pipe & Round Tube
- Flat, Square & Round Bars